Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I need to learn C++. Is it better to start with Visual Studio 6.0 or Visual studio .Net 2003 ?

I am aware that VS .Net has many wizards and tools which makes programming easier, but I have a assumption that by learning C++ in VS 6.0 i will have better knowledge of its basics and concept, because of the manual nature of programming. Am I right or should I start using VS .Net ?

I need to learn C++. Is it better to start with Visual Studio 6.0 or Visual studio .Net 2003 ?
Start with VS .NET 2003. Or, even better, VS .NET 2005. These have better support of ISO Standard C++. VS 6.0 did not have full support for some of the advanced features of templates, and the later versions are much closer to the Standard. Just make sure you stick to standard C++, producing native Win32 executables, rather than C++/CLI which targets the .NET platform and is a different dialect (non-standard.) And don't worry about getting better knowledge of the basics: you can still do everything manually in VS .NET if you want to.


No comments:

Post a Comment